Pricing of services

Derek Neighbors plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Fri, 1 Jun 2001 11:30:18 -0500 (CDT)

>     Register 8 domain names. Client to pay for registration fees.

You should be able to pick domains up for at least 17 a domain if you do
one year at a time.  If you register 2 years at a time you could probably
get for 15 a year.

I have seen as low as 11 a year, but havent used company advertising that.

8 x 30 = $240 for 8 domains for 2 years each.

Now network solutions is $70 for 2 years

8 x 70 = $560 for 8 domains for 2 years each.

There is minimal work in registering the domains, but as you can see there
is substantial room for mark up here.  Generally if its a client I expect
repeat business from I give domains at 5 bucks over my cost and take the 5
bucks for comp for setting up.

On the bill I put the NS price and note they are getting a discounted
rate.

>     Configure and test 8 ip aliases, 1 for each domain on a webserver with 1 nic, running RedHat 7.0 and Apache 1.3.12-25, ifcfg-eth0:0 etc
>     Configure and test Virtualhost settings for each doman within httpd.conf
>
>     Create subdirectories for each domain in /var/www
>
>     Associate each directory with the appropriate user and group and set the permissions

Do you have to install Redhat etc?  I would say anywhere from 40-80 an
hour is reasonable, depending on your overhead costs.  You know how long
it takes you better than we would. :)

>     Create  and test an entry within CuteFTP on Windows98 so that for each domain there is an entry that automaticaly points to the folder on the Win98 machine where files for each domain are kept and that points to the directory on the webserver from which the pages will be served and that contains the proper login and password for each domain.

Standard GNU\Linux consultants fee for touching windows98 is $1,234.34.
(j/k)

Honestly for me, when doing consulting I publish my rate as XXX for
GNU\Linux based work and XXX for windows work.  With windows work being
more expensive.

Derek