Mail trouble

der.hans plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Tue, 31 Jul 2001 01:11:51 -0700 (MST)

Am 30. Jul, 2001 schwäzte Rick Rosinski so:

> I have been having trouble with my email.  Every once in a while, neither
> Netscape or KMail will download all of the messages from my pop3 account
> on Mindspring.  Both Netscape and KMail willl get "stuck" trying to
> download the same message number.  That seems weird since they are
> separate applications.  So, I have to go into Windows, download the mail
> with Outlook Express, and (unfortunately) have to delete teh mail from the
> server here.  After that, for a while, I can successfully download mail in
> LInux.  But all of my unsaved mail is in WIndows, and I really don't like
> that.

Sometimes clients hang on particular pieces of mail. I've seen it be because
the mail was too big, because it had some header or attachment the client
didn't understand or reasons we never figured out.

Check out fetchmail. There are a couple of other command line mail getters.
You might even be able to just delete that particular mail with them. You
could also do that by telnetting to to port 110 and issuing a bunch of mail
commands by hand or by using the perl module that understands pop.

For the mail that's on m$: if you can get it in some sort of text format,
which is probably what it's in, then you can transfer it to your Linux box.
Search freshmeat for mail converters. Used to be a bunch of 'em out there.

ciao,

der.hans
--
# der.hans@LuftHans.com home.pages.de/~lufthans/ www.DevelopOnline.com
# Passwords are like underwear. You don't share them, you don't hang them on