Networking

Matt Alexander plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Sat, 28 Jul 2001 14:42:43 -0700 (PDT)

Hi Tom,
First off, I would recommend upgrading to RH 7.1 as soon as possible.  7.0 had
a lot of annoying quirks and bugs.  7.1 is actually very nice.
In order for us to help you with this, we'll need a bit of system info.
Type the following and send us the results:

ifconfig

(This will output the configuration information for your interface)

cat /etc/resolv.conf

(This file lists nameservers and default domain info)

cat /etc/dhcpc/dhcpcd-eth0.info

(This file contains your dhcp client info)

cat /etc/sysconfig/network

(Permanent network configuration info)

cat /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0

(More permanent network configuration info)

There's also a tool called "netcfg" that you can run as root from the command
line (it might even be listed in your "Start" menu somewhere).  It's a GUI
program that will allow you to configure your network interfaces.  Poke around
in it and look at how your interface is currently setup.  There's also a pull
down menu that allows you to switch an interface between a static IP address
and getting it from a DHCP server.
~M