Networking

Tom Achtenberg plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Sat, 28 Jul 2001 14:11:26 -0700

No I do not have my server configured as a DHCP.  as I said in my original
post, I need to get the IP address from Qwests servers.  The system found
the NIC when I did the install so I presume it installed the drivers.  Even
MS will do that much.  As far as the rest, I am an outright Linux rookie and
do not know anything about syntax for ifconfig or Samba for that matter.
Can you help?

From: "Eric Van Buskirk" <yonica@qwest.net>
To: <plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us>
Subject: RE: Networking
Date: Sat, 28 Jul 2001 09:40:02 -0800

I assume that you have configured NT as a DHCP server?  Is it issuing
private addresses, or qwest addresses, by the way?  Have you installed the
proper driver for your network card?  Try "netconfig" from the command line
and do it again, or you can do it with "ifconfig" if you have the proper
syntax.  Have you set a default gateway?  A default gateway would not be
necessary to obataining a dhcp address, but would be, of course, for
internet access.

When you say you cannot "see" your linuxbox, do you mean through network
neighborhood?  If so, you will not be able to do that until you install
samba.