Debian Discs

der.hans plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Sat, 28 Jul 2001 13:49:39 -0700 (MST)

Am 28. Jul, 2001 schwäzte John W so:

>   Anyone have discs newer than the original 2.2 potato that I could get
> copies of that is in the mesa area.
> I am going to be in Mesa today.
> I have potato installed but it does not recognize my Nvidia geforce 2 and I
> can't seem to find much info about this.
> I found a link to the Nvidia debs (apt source) but have yet to try it as it
> seems that the version of X I am running is still 3.3.6.

You don't need new disks if you have a network connection.

Change your /etc/apt/sources.list to point at woody instead of potato.
Then do an update and a dist-upgrade. Most of my boxen are running woody
and it has been working quite well for me.

If you've got a slow connection, like a modem, then start the dist-upgrade
when you go to bed and use the --download-only option. Once everything's
downloaded, run dist-upgrade without the --download-only option and
everything'll install. BTW, if it hasn't finished getting everything in the
morning, kill it, work for the day and then run it again at night. It'll
start from where it left off, not from the beginning.

X 4.0.3 is in woody. As is apt 0.5.3. The new apt has some cool features
I'll try to post to the list this weekend.

ciao,

der.hans
--
# der.hans@LuftHans.com home.pages.de/~lufthans/ www.DevelopOnline.com
#  I'm not anti-social, I'm pro-individual. - der.hans