Using tee to create a log

Wayne Conrad plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
26 Jul 2001 14:09:07 -0700

On Thu, 26 July 2001, Alan Dayley wrote:
> So, is there a version of tee that captures stderr too?  Hmm... A
> programming project...

I don't think you can do it.  A program doesn't have a "stderrin", just a "stdin".  Your shell connects one program's stdout to the next program's stdin, but there's no place to connect stderr to.

But for the most part, the shell redirects aren't painful once you know the a few of the magic spells that we've been talking about.  I think it's better to use these tricks than it would be to add more options to tee.