Using tee to create a log

Wayne Conrad plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
26 Jul 2001 11:56:47 -0700

If the program "foo" writes to stdout, then this runs foo, redirecting its output to logfile:
  foo >logfile

If you'd rather append to logfile instead of overwrite it:
  foo >>logfile

If foo writes to stderr as well as stdout, some lines won't get captured to the file (you'll see them scrolling by).  If that happens and you want to capture those lines too, try this:
  foo &>logfile

stdout means "standard output"
stderr means "standard error"

       Wayne Conrad