Using tee to create a log

Thomas Mondoshawan Tate plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Thu, 26 Jul 2001 11:45:08 -0700

--2oS5YaxWCcQjTEyO

Well if you're just wanting to write it out to a log file, then you don't
even need tee -- just use a STDOUT or STDERR redirect like this:

     (insert command here) >logfile
    =20
The > tells bash to redirect the text to a file. If it writes the text as an
error (aka STDERR), use 2> instead of just >. Mind you, using this
technique, you won't see the data as it comes accross the screen. However,
you can watch the data as it's displayed by switching to another virtual
terminal and typing in 'tail -f logfile'.

Hope that helps.

One question before I end this, though: what program are you trying to do
this with?

-- Mondoshawan

On Thu, Jul 26, 2001 at 11:25:35AM -0700, Alan Dayley wrote:
>=20
> I have a command line utility that spits out data on the screen as it run=
s.
>  I want to capture this data to a "log" file so I can read it later.  I
> have been told the tee command will do this for me but I can't seem to get
> the command line correct as the log file is always empty.
>=20
> The man and info pages are not very helpful to me since I am just learning
> this piping commands stuff.
>=20
> Alan

--2oS5YaxWCcQjTEyO