Linux in Large Corporations (Was: New to group)

John (EBo) David plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Wed, 25 Jul 2001 17:38:29 -0700

George Toft wrote:

> Most of us Unix Engineers either use a pirate Linux box or have
> VMWare with Linux as the guest OS set up so we can do our jobs.  Linux
> is not authorized for use as a desktop OS.  Working Fortune 500 can sure
> leave a bad taste in your mouth for marketing/business analysts who
> make decisions on twisted marketing literature instead of sound
> technical reasons.

I've had and have run VMWare for about a year and a half and am not
satisfied with it...  I upgraded my Linux OS and now VMWare will not
even load because I'm running dual processor and it cannot cope with the
64GB memory configuration...

The sound thrashed between the processors...  I'll take another look at
it some time later.

BTW, does anyone know how to "lock" a process in to a specfic processor
on a multi processor machine?

  EBo --