lilo failed--HELP

John (EBo) David plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Wed, 25 Jul 2001 17:11:44 -0700

"Michael J. Schweppe" wrote:

> >wow - I believe that when your /boot oartutuib is on the slave drive,
> >you have to include something like bios=0x82 in lilo.conf -  you should
> >have seen a message flash by about this at the tail end of the install.
>
> Messages go by pretty fast, couldn't tell you...

drats...  now I know that that information is sent to a file somewhere
so you can view it later...  Just cannot recall of the top of my head
where...

Just checked.  /var/log/boot.msg  contains a bunch of stuff, but I
though there was more somewhere...

> To recap, on the initial install, after the second cd was placed I
> stepped out of the room for an extended period of time.  This was a
> mistake because I missed the boot creation section, apparently Linux
> timed out and finished the install.  Hence no boot disk on round one.

ahhh...

> After I got the fdisk /mbr sqaured away [I didn't know that after you
> issue the fdisk /mbr commmand that noting happens on the command line
> but that you reboot anyhow.  OK, so I'm back in Win and reinstall Red
> Hat.  Careful to pay close attention and make boot disk.  Reboot.
> Blah.  Same issue :-(.  After reboot I get the usual power up stuff,
> and then a flashing "L" with a non-responsive system.
>
> Use boot disk to get Linux up.
>
> Here is a copy of my /etc/lilo.conf
>
> boot=/dev/hda
> map=/boot/map
> install=/boot/boot.b
> prompt
> timeout=50
> message=/boot/message
> linear
> default=dos
>
> image=/boot/vmlinux-2.4.2-2
>         label=linux
>         read-only
>         root=/dev/hdb8

I have:

image  = /boot/vmlinuz_24
  label  = linux_2.4
  root   = /dev/hdb3
  initrd = /boot/initrd_24
  append = "hdc=ide-scsi hdd=ide-scsi"
  optional

another entry for scsi drives:

image = /boot/vmlinuz
  root = /dev/sda4
  initrd=/boot/initrd
  label = suse70
  append = "hdc=ide-scsi hdd=ide-scsi"

The ide-scsi stuff is necessary only if you are going to try to run
Xcdroast (to burn CD's)

I remember something about initrd being required in certain cases...
Cannot remember which ones though.

Also the read-only tage you use here I have in the header which I have:

  boot    = /dev/fd0

  vga     = normal
  read-only
  menu-scheme = Wg:kw:Wg:Wg
  lba32
  prompt
  timeout = 80
  message = /boot/message
  default=linux_2.4

> other=/dev/hda1
>         optional
>         label=dos

For this I have:

other   = /dev/hda1
  label = nt
  table = /dev/hda

Hope this helps...

  EBo --

ps: you said that NT went on the second of two scsi drives.  Did I hear
that correctly?