making $$$ working with Linux (was Re: New to group)

Patrick STODDARD plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Thu, 26 Jul 2001 00:02:26 +0000

Hi!

It's been a while since I have attended a PLUG meeting, when
they were moved from Scottsdale toward New Mexico :) but wanted
to throw in my $0.02 on a couple of items.....

I'm in one of those "good linux jobs".  I still have two servers
with other systems (one database with Solaris, the other server
with NT), the rest (internal file/print/web server, firewall, DNS,
mail, web) are Linux - and most of those on older PCs.  A non-
profit agency doesn't leave a large budget, but enough to be
creative (and make a decent salary - no need for "Will Network
for Food" signs).  My title is IT Manager, but I also do PC tech
stuff, system admin on all these servers, oversee one guy who
takes care of the data in the database and creates my web sites'
content (www.cirs.org), and I'm also picking up on the telephone
stuff.  I may have a need later in the year for someone to do
some database work to replace the Solaris box - and maybe the NT
box at the same time - but I can't hire/contract anyone for that
now.  When the time comes, I'll post a note on this list announcing
that job opening.

As for the appearances of this group being pro-anything, I think
there is a wide variety of distributions used by those on this
list as der.hans said.  A good thing!  Use what you like, pose
questions on here, and someone should be able to answer you
quickly.

Now that there are meetings on the west side, plus the beer-
drinking gathering in Tempe (Stammtisch), I should get back
into attending these meetings.  I don't need the bandwidth to
download stuff like I did previously when attending the Scottsdale
meetings (office finally spring for a faster connection - yes!),
but it was nice to see the crowds show up and chat with some
people.  And the drive from my central Phoenix office to
Tempe would be quicker than going to the former meeting location
in Scottsdale.

Back to lurk mode - and time to go home.......

Patrick

--
Patrick STODDARD                E-mail: wd9ewk at amsat dot org
Glendale, Arizona, USA          ICBM:   33.5 N 112.2 W