Office-Compatibility...

Patrick Fleming plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Wed, 25 Jul 2001 09:32:06 -0700 (MST)

I have used StartOffice 6.2 for some time- not necessarily on a daily
basis- and have no problems saving the .doc format. What I did find was
once a file was named and saved, doing a 'save-as' seems to not work. I
was trying to save from the personal work folder to a floppy at the time
(a couple of times actually) when that particular function seemed to not
want to work. I just did cp /personal/folder/*.doc /mnt/floppy and it was
there.
The only thing that I had trouble with was the database (which they
stripped out of oppenoffice due to compatiblity problems- to be redone
later) I found that the fields were shorter so all data didn't carry from
my previous database/office software (PerfectWorks for Win3.1/95- which I
really liked BTW)
And the DoD just moved quite a few machines (I think they were support
personnel machines) completely away from anything Win- based to Star
Office. They were already paying for support from Sun so the move costs
them nothing but time- and the help desk is all in one place now.

Patrick