lilo failed--HELP

Michael J. Schweppe plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Wed, 25 Jul 2001 09:25:50 -0700

On Wed, 25 Jul 2001 00:46:17 -0700, you wrote:

>Justin wrote:
>>
>> Reboot w/ a Linux boot disk and go into rescue mode, mount your drives and
>> run /sbin/lilo -v -v

Messages go by pretty fast, couldn't tell you...

To recap, on the initial install, after the second cd was placed I
stepped out of the room for an extended period of time.  This was a
mistake because I missed the boot creation section, apparently Linux
timed out and finished the install.  Hence no boot disk on round one.

After I got the fdisk /mbr sqaured away [I didn't know that after you
issue the fdisk /mbr commmand that noting happens on the command line
but that you reboot anyhow.  OK, so I'm back in Win and reinstall Red
Hat.  Careful to pay close attention and make boot disk.  Reboot.
Blah.  Same issue :-(.  After reboot I get the usual power up stuff,
and then a flashing "L" with a non-responsive system.

Use boot disk to get Linux up.

Here is a copy of my /etc/lilo.conf

boot=/dev/hda
map=/boot/map