CVS - A cool topic...

Derek A. Neighbors plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Tue, 24 Jul 2001 20:37:46 -0700

This book is a quick read and best CVS book I think available.  It is
available on line for free (minus VERY good open source philosphy texts)

http://cvsbook.red-bean.com/

I agree a class would be nice, but this will teach you all you need to
know about CVS to make it work and run and be useful.  Rather than a CVS
class, I would rather see either a series of classes or one longer
session on HOW TO PACKAGE / RELEASE / MAINTAIN a free software project.

This is something we get lots of request for on the GNU project.  I
think we at FSF are looking to make a book on it, but a talk would be
nice too... Say...

a. Choosing a license
b. Copyright
c. Setting up cvs
d. Creating documentation w/ docbook
e. Creating RPM's / Debians
f. Setting up mailman
g. Setting up Bonsai / LXR / CVSWeb

Also, of course setting up I mean using as well, since things like
sourceforge exist, the setting up part is obsolete for smaller projects
and its just a matter of usage.  Maybe teh developer group could do this
as well?  Just a thought.

Derek