Bad style sheets... bad bad bad!

Wayne Conrad plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
22 Jul 2001 11:22:21 -0700

On Sat, 21 July 2001, Jason wrote:
> Wayne Conrad wrote:
> > How about changing the alt text for the big banner to "Phoenix Linux User's Group?"
> > Alternatively, use text instead of an image, and then use some style sheet magic to make the text big like you want it.
>
> Style sheets are a fascist device used by developers to FORCE a
> particular font selection upon the web page viewer.
>
> I noticed that style sheets OVERRIDE the setting "Use my specified
> font, overriding document specified fonts". That is to say, if a style
> sheet says to use some unreadable variation of Times, at some
> unreadable point size, the browser will do so, despite my indication
> that it should NOT.
>
> As such, I have disabled style shits, both in the browser itself and
> by blocking access to commonly used "style sheet files" loaded by
> javascript with the Junkbuster Proxy.
>
> Avoid style sheets if possible.

Jason,

I've removed the font and size munging from the style sheets on yagni.com, based upon your compassionate plea :) and because I've noticed that it's difficult-to-impossible to find a set of fonts and sizes that look good on every browser (do I really want to depend upon someone having anti-aliased fonts installed for whatever font choice I'm trying to pawn off on them?).  And because me picking your font for you was an odd and somewhat embarassing departure from my usual "let the user chose" attitude.

Thanks again for the advice.

  Wayne