Code Red Worm advisory

Matt Alexander plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Sat, 21 Jul 2001 12:16:39 -0700 (PDT)

Quoting Technomage <technomage-hawke@qwest.net>:

> where does one find these files?
> I have looked all over for that extension and it doesn't appear
> to be installed here (on mandrake 8.0)

"default.ida" is the file that is requested on your web server.  So in your
apache logs, you would see something like:

65.201.146.103 - - [19/Jul/2001:17:58:49 -0400] "GET
/default.ida?NNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN
NNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN
NNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN
NNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN
NNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN%u9090%u6858%
ucbd3%u7801%u9090%u6858%ucbd3%u7801%u9090%u6858%uc
bd3%u7801%u9090%u9090%u8190%u00c3%u0003%u8b00%u531 b%u53ff%u0078%u0000%u00=a
HTTP/1.0" 400 323 "-" "-"

So in your httpd.conf or in your .htaccess file, you could add what I wrote
below to redirect requests to default.ida to something else.
Again, I don't know if this exploit honors HTTP redirects, and I haven't cared
enough to try and find out.
~M