Publish and Perish

Curtis Zinzilieta plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Thu, 19 Jul 2001 15:21:01 -0700 (MST)

On Thu, 19 Jul 2001, John (EBo) David wrote:

> Jim wrote:
> >
> > Everyone has read about the Sklyarov arrest by now.  What is interesting is
> > that the FBI met with Adobe personnel and were convinced to arrest a Russian
> > national for what Adobe terms violation of the DMCA.
>
> Boy do I feel like a hick in tinsletown...  Who is Sklyarov, and what is
> DMCA?
>
>   EBo --

EBo,

See http://www.eff.org/

There is a leading story, with comments and links.

Sklyarov was arrested at DefCon, after presenting on how to circumvent the
security on eBooks.  (about as tough as ROT13, if I've heard correctly)

Wonder how this little occurance will impact next year's DefCon.  This
year they allowed *cameras* inside...a previous no-no.  A lot of things
slipped this year, IMHO.  Big crowds.  More script kiddies running
around.  Lower quality in some of the talks...but still some good ones,
admittedly.

We'll see.

-Curtis

#include <standard_disclaimer.h>

Curtis Zinzilieta                    office: curtis@valinux.com
Professional Services Engineer       mobile: 520.606.5753
VA Linux Systems                   personal: clz@sw.incantations.com