Introductions

Richard Ibbotson plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Thu, 19 Jul 2001 20:13:00 +0100

Hi

> Red Hat 7.1 seems to be current.  SuSE is at 7.2 and Mandrake (my
> recommendation) is at 8,0.  The numbers mean nothing relative to
> each other - only within each distribution.

Mandrake seems to be the thing for newbies.  Friend of mine is trying
out Red Hat 7.2 on some largish commercial servers in a company in
London.  Says it's alright.  RH 7.0 had some very unpleasant things
in store for people who wanted to compile a kernel.  So, I've stayed
away from that.

SuSE 7.2 is very nice for new users and old hands.  You can get it
from www.jumbo.com.  Professional version.  But, Mandrake is probably
best.

Thanks

--