Routing Question

Furmanek, Greg plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Wed, 18 Jul 2001 11:39:41 -0400

-----Original Message-----
From: Bob George [mailto:plug@bobspc.dhs.org]
Sent: Tuesday, July 17, 2001 8:21 PM
To: plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Subject: Re: Routing Question

"Furmanek, Greg" <Greg.Furmanek@hit.cendant.com> wrote:

> 2 Routable IP addresses on the same subnet:

Your success may depend on your provider. If they expect to "see" your
device's MAC, it might be tricky. Are you doing actual routing with your
ISP? (I assume not)

routing is done by the firewall.  I do not think my ISP cares about the MAC
address at all.

Your firewall will need to respond to both addresses externally. Start there
and see if that works. It'll help to be able to test from an external
location. If it does, the rest is simple.

That is another thing.  How do I set up the firewall to respond to two
addresses externally?

A 1:1 NAT would do nicely for the DMZ network, 1:n for the inside network.
You'll probably want DNS set up externally to be able to locate the two
external addresses by name.

I was thinking of 1:1 NAT for that CPU.

- Bob