internet terrorism (A preview of whats to come if windows XP makes

Rusty Carruth plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Mon, 16 Jul 2001 07:35:26 -0700 (MST)

> Rusty Carruth wrote:
> >
> > In any case, we're in for a REALLY bumpy ride.  This makes
> > spam look like a walk in the park....  (And I hate spam!
> > Used to get 20-50 or more per day till I got teergrube
> > working)
>
> teergrube?  hmmm... what's that?  I'm getting on the upwards of 100
> emails a day and that *with* digests of what I am following for work...

Thats a 'tarpit' in German.

The idea is that you slow down the snmp connection for known spammers
so that they either:

1 detect that you are a slow connection and drop you
	or
2 - don't detect that you are working on holding them back from their
    massive spam attempt - in which case the more people who do this,
    the less spam they can send.

Some folks think that tarpits don't work.  but then, some tarpits
are set up poorly.  10 seconds is NOT a good pit!  I prefer 10
seconds for the NORMAL (non-pit) mode (but I'm going to be
experimenting with longer times), and a day (or more) for
the tarpit...