Maddog

der.hans plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Sat, 14 Jul 2001 14:28:31 -0700 (MST)

Am 14. Jul, 2001 schwäzte Jim so:

> John 'Maddog" Hall has some interesting suggestions for resolving the MS
> antitrust case.  Jail?  Regulation as a utility?  I like the ones that
> promote standards and free teaching from the MS steel fist.

Where do we find his comments?

I think the correct thing to do would be to force them to only write data in
standards approved by certain standards bodies ( ieee, ietf, w3, etc. ). I
mean write to anything, whether that be disk or network or anything else. No
more proprietary formats and no embracing and extending.

That's appropriate because it's the proprietary, binary formats that they've
used to heavily to abuse their monopoly power. Embrace and extend is a
substantial part of that abuse.

The problem is that they could take over the standards bodies and though at
least everything would be open they could still by virtue of their monopoly
and illegally garnered size they could bully others as well as get standards
published that are completely in their favor.

For this reason, I say they should be forbidden from participating in the
standards process for 5 years.

ciao,

der.hans
--
# der.hans@LuftHans.com home.pages.de/~lufthans/ www.DevelopOnline.com
#  When I work, I work hard. When I play, I play hard.