Copying games (Was: Loki offers 50% discount to LUGS)

Matt Alexander plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Sat, 14 Jul 2001 08:03:30 -0700 (PDT)

Not that I'm a huge fan of Copyright law or anything, but when it comes to supporting games for Linux, I would strongly encourage you to NOT copy the CD and go buy it instead (if it's not at your local retailer, you can get it directly from www.lokigames.com).
Linux NEEDS games to help validate it as a viable desktop alternative and to improve its marketshare.  But game developers are leary of Linux because of the small desktop market (yes, yes, it's that old annoying chicken 'n egg thing), but if we're not even buying the Linux games that are made, then we're shooting ourselves in the foot.  Come on, it's only about $30 - $50.  You can spare it.  It's for the "revolution," after all, right?  ;-)  In fact, I would encourage you to buy TWO copies and use the second one to help encourage that friend of yours to switch to Linux.  You setup their box for them, you install a popular game for them, and boom, they're hooked.  :-)
~Matt