[PLUG]Re: Anti-Alias Fonts!!!

Chris Cowan plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Tue, 10 Jul 2001 17:04:12 -0700

Here is my profile of the system I'm on:

    Dell c600 Latitude Laptop
    12mb NTFS - Windows Partition
    6mb - SuSE 7.2 Linux Partition

To do this you have to make sure that your dist. will support the anti-alias
fonts. So to check you need to run "xdpyinfo |grep RENDER" and check to make
sure you cand "RENDER" the fonts. Since SuSE comes ready to go out of the
box, I didn't have to monkey with it. But if you do, start here:

http://portal.suse.de/en/content.php?SEARCH&content/desktop/aafonts.html

This should work with any of the new dist. that support Anti-Alias fonts and
KDE2. Probably X86Free 4.0.2 and above...

1. Copy all my Windows fonts from my NTFS mounted drive to

/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/truetype/

2. Run the following command:

/usr/X11R6/bin/ttmkfdir|sed s/^[0-9]*// > fonts.scale.neu

3. Restart X Server

4. Checked "Anti-aliasing for fonts and symbols" under "Look & Feel -->
Style" in the KDE Control Center.

5. Add "export QT_XFT=1" to "/etc/profile.local"

6. Restart X Server

7. Look at purdy fonts!

It should be that easy... I did screw around with the KDE Font Installer
Program, but it never really looked like it worked. But it might... now that
I got the rest working...

Good Luck...

Chris