nfs sanity check

der.hans plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Fri, 6 Jul 2001 12:26:16 -0700 (MST)

moin, moin,

is portmap needed for a client to mount an nfs partition?

The following that turned up in a google search was shown to me:

   This is caused by the portmap daemon not running. Both the loopback
   interface and the portmap daemon should be running before mounting any
   NFS filesystems (except /), or you must supply the "nolock" mount option
   to turn off NFS locking. However, if you do use "nolock", you will not be
   able to use any file locking on the NFS mounts.

Don't want portmap going unless it has to be...

If it is running for client stuff, does the server need to be able to talk
to it? In other words can I firewall and /etc/hosts.deny it down to local
access only?

ciao,

der.hans
--
# der.hans@LuftHans.com home.pages.de/~lufthans/ www.DevelopOnline.com
#  Knowledge is useless unless it's shared. - der.hans