Call for topics (was Re: July Meeting Topics )

John (EBo) David plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Tue, 03 Jul 2001 18:00:52 -0700

Lucas Vogel wrote:

> (thanks for the reminder, Jim!)
>
> We are fresh out of topics and presenters for this month on for both PLUG
> meeting locations(sequoia and GCC). If you have a particular Linux-related
> talent and wish to show it off to the group please contact me at this email
> address and let me know when you are available to present yourself :)

Something I would like to see (and could possibly talk a little about)
is the Enhanced Machine Control (EMC) project produced by NIST.  It is
realtime kenamatic software to drive computer controlled equiptment like
milling machines, etc.  I would be interested in finding out if anyone
else is playing with retrofitting conventional equiptment or building
new CNC laths, mills, etc.  EMC compiles on both Win* and a real-time
version of Linux called RT-Linux...

I am actually interested in building one of the tetra-pod minimills (it
is a cable based 6 axis sturard platform milling machine based on
robo-crane technology).

Now if someone just happened to have some used servo motors with
encoders *really* cheap I would be a REALLY happy camper ;-)

I am also doing a bunch of spatially explicit ecological modeling.  At
the moment I am looking at writing a computational geometry library
under the ospasis of Boost.org to solve some of the technical issues...
Who all in the valley are graphics/VR/spatial modeling?

Anyone interested in hearing about ecological modeling in the greater
Phoenix metro area?

 EBo --