X Window Server Crashes Bad

Craig White plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Mon, 2 Jul 2001 19:51:18 -0700

----
Whoa, I think I've got another method on Redhat 7.1

cd /usr/src/linux-2.4  #this will work regardless of whether you
                       #have installed kernel 2.4.3-12 update or
                       #are still with 2.4.2-2 orig distr.
make mrproper          #cleans house
make dep
make clean
emacs Makefile         #or vim or pico or ???
                       #edit the line that reads
                       #EXTRAVERSION  = -2 or = -12
                       #whatever you put in here will differentiate
                       #your compile from earlier compiles & modules
make bzImage           #take a few minutes
make modules
make modules-install
make install           #should create vmlinuz & System map files in /root
                       #unless you change the target directory in Makefile
#optional...
make bzlilo            #instead of make install but that will dump them in
                       #/boot and run lilo so if you can confidently
                       #walk this aisle - go for it.

using the mv (or cp command - move them to /boot and name them accordingly
(i.e. vmlinuz-test)

check the /boot directory and edit & run /etc/lilo.conf as necessary

This process should leave the working boot & modules unharmed - and in fact,
unless you change the 'default' by editing lilo.conf, will remain the
working boot setup so you can experiment to your heart's content and reboot
like a monster. or in David's colorful phraseology, wet lather rinse repeat.
i.e. - if you copy the resulting vmlinuz & System.map files to boot again
and again without rebuilding. The problem is that the files in /etc/X11 are
gonna remain.

Craig

Craig