sniffit

Blake Barnett plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Mon, 2 Jul 2001 17:13:33 -0700

But if you have lsb-package-0.0-i386.rpm and package_0.0-2.deb, the two
systems aren't going to know it.

* Blake

-----Original Message-----
From: der.hans [mailto:PLUGd@lufthans.com]
Sent: Monday, July 02, 2001 1:33 PM
To: 'plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us'
Subject: RE: sniffit

Am 02. Jul, 2001 schwäzte Blake Barnett so:

> Besides, since the LSB (www.linuxbase.org) has decided on RPM as the
> standard format, in the future you should nearly always be able to get an
> RPM for a linux package.  Regardless of distribution.  RPM is a good
package
> format, it has it's strengths and weaknesses.  I'm just glad the LSB
finally
> got a standard out the door.
>
> from Chapter 13 of the Specification:
> "Applications should be provided in the RPM packaging format as defined in
> the appendix of Maximum RPM, with some restrictions listed below. [1]
>
> Distributions must provide a mechanism for installing applications in this
> packaging format with some restrictions listed below. [2]"
>
> What worries me is that distributions like Slackware and Debian which have
> their own dependancy system, will not integrate the RPMs into the system
> which will lead to conflicting RPM/DEB/TGZ packages.  I hope someone
> addresses this quickly and gets it added to the spec.

Actually, from looking at it, it seems that the lsb stuff is separate from
the base dist. It would seem, though, that the base dist can "Provides" the
lsb stuff.

Slack and Debian have been able to install RPMs for quite some time. The
prob has been dependencies, but since lsb is meant to be providing the
dependencies, that shouldn't be an issue.

ciao,

der.hans
--
# der.hans@LuftHans.com home.pages.de/~lufthans/ www.DevelopOnline.com
#  Stell dir vor, es ist Krieg und keiner geht hin...