X Window Server Crashes Bad

Michael J. Schweppe plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Mon, 02 Jul 2001 15:52:22 -0700

David A. Sinck wrote:

>I'm a bit concerned about the 'reinstall everything' comment.  Are you
>trying to installed nvidia drivers on initial install of the box?  I
>bet you really don't want to try that.

To clarify, after I install the drivers  a reboot is required.  It is at
this point that I find if the install is going to work or not.  If it
fails, [I'm in console for this and not X] I cannot get back to X.

Hence, since I do not know what to do, I reinstall the OS.  Perhaps
overkill, but you do what you know.  Once I have a fresh OS install I
then reinstall the NVidia drivers and try again.

Is there an easier way to restore a crashed X server instead of
reinstalling the OS as I have been doing?

Mike