X Window Server Crashes Bad

Michael J. Schweppe plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Mon, 02 Jul 2001 04:38:33 -0700

Hi All:

Remember me, the one who asked about the 3d card recommendation?  Well,
I did get the NVidia card with the evil closed-source drivers <g>, and
believe it or not I'm having big time problems.

This is what I need real help with from you folks: The NVidia kernel
module is not getting properly initialized and in turn my X-Windows
server is getting thoroughly crashed, to the point that I cannot escape
the console into X even with Red Hat's Xconfigurator.  This is all new
water to me so I do what I can in console, but in order to 'try again' I
reinstall everything--which is somewhat time consuming.

My questions are 1) does anyone have experience working with NVidia
drivers and more importantly 2) how do I recover to get back into X when
the server has crashed?

Still learning,

Mike