Linux VICTORY !

der.hans plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Sun, 1 Jul 2001 22:20:03 -0700 (MST)

Am 28. Jun, 2001 schwäzte John Mosier so:

> Excelco sells Business Management Software that runs on Linux,
> as well as many other servers.
>
> We had a victory here last week.  At one of my client's sites,
> where they run BUNCHES of NT servers, we installed a SuSe 7.1
> linux server.  Our application, which involves a high volume
> of transactions with extensive business logic, is I/O and compute
> intensive. (eg 500,000 line items to become 10,000 invoices).
> This process takes days to run on NT.
>
> In our first test, we got around a 5 times faster throughput on
> a $2,000 Compaq server with SuSe Linux file system.  The 5x
> speed improvement is really better than that, as the NT Server
> is a dual processor $15,000 HP server with elaborate RAID, and
> BOKU memory. Our next step is to install a second processor
> in the Compaq and re-run the test.

John,

great to hear that you're doing well. Cool that you're still seeing
improvements when switching clients to Linux as well.

ciao,

der.hans
--
# der.hans@LuftHans.com home.pages.de/~lufthans/ www.DevelopOnline.com
#  Two roads diverged in a wood, and I --