sendmail and DNS on the same machine

Craig White plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Sat, 30 Jun 2001 21:56:32 -0700

Naren Koka wrote:

> I am struggling with sendmail in my environment where
> the DNS and the sendmail servers are on the same box.
> It keeps telling me "mail loops back to me (MX
> problem?).  I have spent over three days on this
> problem and tried everything.  The query using
> nslookup from a client machine shows good information,
> but I just can not send any mail to my domain email
> addresses.

---
Actually, you have to give it the directive to accept mail for the
domain and if you play it by the rules, you would edit (depending upon
your version of sendmail - this will refer to 8.10 or higher)

/etc/mail/local-host-names so that it accepts mail for listed names...

for example - my file reads

azapple.com
barney.azapple.com
localhost

Edit the file - restart sendmail (knowledgable people can tell you what
to HUP), I take the Redhat path of little resistance - service sendmail
restart

YMMV

Craig