Using Kickstart under Red Hat 6.2

Gary Nichols gary@linuxchimp.com
Tue, 30 Jan 2001 23:11:27 -0700

Actually kickstart is smart enough to do that on it's own.  In the config
file, the 'install' statement is required which tells kickstart 'do a fresh
install' (which includes a format).

Couple o'things...

* Make sure you're using the latest install disk for 6.2 per this RedHat
advisory:
http://www.redhat.com/support/errata/RHBA-2000-015.html

* You can edit syslinux.cfg on the floppy and make it look like this:
default ks
prompt 0
label ks
kernel vmlinuz
append ks=floppy initrd=initrd.img

This will boot kickstart automagically (You can grab a soda instead of
waiting to type in the 'linux ks=floppy'. *g*)

If you really want to be c00l, once your kickstart config is perfected, you
can make a bootable redhat cd-rom that boots right into ks and starts the
install immediately.  Great for installing on multiple machines w/o a nfs
server.

* Make sure you're not editing ks.cfg in m$ notepad or some other editor
that is appending cr/lf's to the end of the lines.  The anaconda installer
might not like those.

* Can you provide the output of the error messages?

* Have you tried a different floppy?

Also, did you code the ks.cfg file by hand or use mkkickstart?

Gary Nichols RHCE         gary@neoplanet.com
Network Operations Mgr       NeoPlanet, Inc.
http://www.neoplanet.com     Penguin Powered