Questions on a Sun box

J.L.Francois jlf@magusnet.gilbert.az.us
Tue, 30 Jan 2001 16:47:01 -0700

It seems like on Tue, Jan 30, 2001 at 03:09:34PM -0700, David Demland scribbled:
Orig Msg> At the current time I have a Storm firewall on our partial T1 and a NT
Orig Msg> firewall on our ISDN line. We have a Spark 20 just sitting around here. The
Orig Msg> goal: use the Spark 20 box as a firewall for both lines. I would like to put
Orig Msg> a Debian distribution on the Spark box, if possible. I also will need to
Orig Msg> replace the 10 megabit card with 3 three 100 megabit cards. Question: Where
Orig Msg> do I get a Linux version and does anyone know where I can get NICs?
Orig Msg>
Orig Msg> Thank You,
Orig Msg>

I currently run Debian and OpenBSD on Sparc(Classic,IPX,IPC,2) with
great success. All are headless boxes.

To do the install you can use a one floppy install or use "boot net"
from a tftp server inside your LAN.
I like the net boot method because if the firewall ever gets compromised
for any reason and rebooted, the PROM can be configured to not boot
automatically, so you will know something is up :)

First look at:
ftp://ftp.debian.org/debian/dists/stable/main/disks-sparc/current/
and read thru the docs.

For the NIC go to:
http://www.goldcircuit.com and see if they have any Sparc20 units lying
around. That should be your least expensive way of hooking this up.
Of course, there is always Ebay.

If you need any assistance, let me know.

Jean Francois - JLF Sends...
President & CEO - MagusNet, Inc., MagusNet.com, MagusNet.Gilbert.AZ.US
MagusNet, Inc. - Design * Develop * Integrate
My Certifications: http://www.magusnet.com/resume.txt
Internet / Intranet Deployment, SQL Database Access for WWW,
Secure Offsite Data Storage, Disaster Recovery Planning and Management,
UNIX System Security, CGI & SQL programming, UNIX Training, Linux/BSD support,
Proxy/Filtering Firewalls, & UNIX System Administration.