POP3 Forwarding help needed

sinck@ugive.com sinck@ugive.com
Tue, 30 Jan 2001 12:49:30 -0700

This was lost in the fun transition and my mailer gave up politely....

\_ I remember doing something like this in the past and was wondering if anyone
\_ had any suggestions.
\_
\_ Scenario: I am hosting several email accounts with an ISP (access via
\_ POP3/Outlook).  I want to move to another ISP. I have all of the usernames
\_ and passwords.
\_
\_ Goal: is to move the unread mail (mail on the old ISP) to the new isp for
\_ each user.
\_
\_ The way I did it before was a PERL script the cycled through the usernames
\_ SU as the user and POPped the mail down. This works great to get it to the
\_ server, but now I need to forward each to a different ISP/User.
\_
\_ Anyone have any ideas/scripts/software?

fetchmail may help:

poll mail.isp1.com with proto POP3
       user "myuser1" there with password "mypass1" is samiam1 here

# ...

poll mail.isp1.com with proto POP3
       user "myuser2" there with password "mypass2" is samiam2 here

I suppose you'd have to have collusion of your mail server and or
procmail and or see if fetchmail can deliver to remote mail queues.
:-)  If you have a shell on the new ISP, run fetchmail there and be
happy more easily.

Also check freshmeat.

David