Hardware:Zip:Plug

Jason jkenner@mindspring.com
Fri, 19 Jan 2001 04:05:42 +0000

Keith Smith wrote:
> amd500

Which one? K6-2, K6-3( 3+ or whatever its called ...) or Athlon?

> Now here is the question.  I was told by a friend that these zip
> drives cause a lot of trouble as a rule.  He says they cause bus
> problems.

I havent had any problems with a zip disk on my IDE bus yet (you
mentioned internal, but not IDE or SCSI.. since you didnt mention a
SCSI card, I am guessing the ZIP disk is an IDE / ATAPI one) but I am
using it under Linux.

On the other hand, I have had atrocious problems with the IDE bus with
my CDR (A Mitsumi) and a generic 32x CDROM when reading disks that
arent quite perfect... the drive basically ends up ruining that IDE
bus. A Toshiba 4X drive I have, on the other hand, generates none of
these errors.

I understand that the ZIP drivers provided by iomega are quite a bit
more aggressive than those that come for Linux. I am not sure if there
are any patches out there or not, but its worth looking into,
especially in your case.

--
jkenner @ mindspring . com__
I Support Linux:           _> _  _ |_  _  _     _|