UPS for Linux?

Jonathan Claxton jzc@primenet.com
Wed, 17 Jan 2001 11:21:25 -0700 (MST)

On Tue, 16 Jan 2001, Matt G. Ellis wrote:

> Hello All,
>
> I'm trying to buy a UPS for my linux server, a Pentium 100.  What I want is
> something that will give the box (no monitor) about 5 to 10 mins of uptime
> so it can shut itself down, I'd also like it if the UPS either came with
> software to tell the linux system to shutdown, or if it had whatever cables
> you would need to get a Open Source program to do the same thing.

I have a pair of 625VA Regulator Pro UPS from Belkin. Comes with software
that can monitor the UPS(closed source) and displays all kinds readings
like temperture, input and output voltages, current load and all kinds of
neat stuff too. Uses serial cable(included) to talk to the UPS. I got them
from Fry's for $150 apiece. They do have other sizes like 425VA and
smaller. Just make sure that if you get one of them, the port is serial as
they do have USB versions too.