Recent unsavory (and unintended) uses of Gnutella

Digital Wokan wokan@home.com
Wed, 10 Jan 2001 22:37:27 -0700

Hawke wrote:
> The following is a link to the story in question:
http://www.thestandard.com/article/display/0,1151,21377,00.html?partner=xdrive

I'm completely against child porn, but let's face it.  Gnutella and
Napster didn't create the problem.  Those German investigators might as
well be finding anyone running an FTP server.  With who knows how many
free FTP servers available for the 90% OS, and only requiring the
included Internet Exploiter for accessing them, the only thing Gnutella
and Napster bring to the table is a search routine designed for
searching hosts that are as sporadic as said FTP sites would be (I'm
assuming dial-up IP's as opposed to the more easily spotted statics).

I'll predict the next incarnation right here, right now:  SSH services
with pre-agreed upon accounts to prevent snooping short of putting a bug
inside the computer itself.

It's been said so many times that it's become another ignored cliche:
You can't solve a sociological problem with a technological answer.

--
Digital Wokan, Tribal Mage of the Electronics Age
Guerilla Linux Warrior