setuid programs

Bill Warner wwarner@direct-alliance.com
12 Jan 2001 15:42:20 -0700

Ok, turn of security related flames for this please.

We have an archaic piece of software that we are trying to replace
but it has been movied over from a SCO system and is useing the iBCS
binary compatibilty.  On the Sco box it was set uid and ran the ps
command
but on linux we get an error message:

This /bin/ps not secure for set uid operation.

we can make this work when logged in as root or su - to root but we have
tried everything and cant even get sudo to work.  I am guessing that
there
is a kernel security that doesnt let programs that access the /proc
filesystem
to be able to run suid?

Is there a way we can get around this untill we can come up with a
better
system??????

--
Bill Warner