atimes

plug@arcticmail.com plug@arcticmail.com
Fri, 12 Jan 2001 13:18:13 -0700

The atime is only changed when the contents of a
file are read, so a "find -print" or "ls -l" have
no effect on atime.  Something like
"find / -type f -exec file {} \;" would change
the atime, though.

One use of atime would be after an intrusion
to determine what files the cracker looked at.

Another use of atime is disk grooming.  Rather
than doing a BOFHish

  rm -rf /home/john

to free up disk space, you could do

  find /home/john -type f -atime +365 -exec rm -f {} \;

If you ain't accessed it in over a year, you
ain't gonna miss it.