standalone firewall - Linux VS BSD firewalls

plug@arcticmail.com plug@arcticmail.com
Fri, 12 Jan 2001 09:49:37 -0700

I don't know about using NetBSD for a secure/firewall system,
but OpenBSD's current claim to fame is "three years without
a remote exploit in the default install."

I would go to OpenBSD's website and read the links on security
and crypto.  One of the things that the OpenBSD team has done
is review ALL of the BSD source code, line-by-line, looking for
potential security issues (like buffer overruns), and fixing
them, even if a way to exploit the bug wasn't obvious at the
time.

Another plus for *BSD is that they have one of the best TCP/IP
stacks around.  This is interesting because I helped a friend
set up an OpenBSD firewall for his Cox cable modem connection
and he asked if there was going to be a performance hit (versus
having his Windows box connected directly to the cable modem).
I told him that if there were, it should be minimal.  Anyway,
I asked him about it a few days later, and he SWORE that his
connection was actually FASTER with the OpenBSD firewall in
place.  The only explanation that I could think of was that
the Windows networking code must be optimized for fast, low-
latency LAN networks.

Finally, I've done NAT and firewall stuff in Linux with ipchains.
IMHO, NAT and firewall stuff in OpenBSD using ipfilter is *MUCH*
more straightforward and easier to understand.