smbclient

sinck@ugive.com sinck@ugive.com
Thu, 11 Jan 2001 12:19:57 -0700

\_ I've been playing with smb and was curious how you would find the NetBIOS
\_ name of a PC with smbclient (or any other way).  I can connect to a PC
\_ (even one not on my same class network) as long as I know the NetBIOS
\_ name.  Ex:  smbclient -I 10.1.1.1 -L nameofcomputer.  I don't have WINS
\_ running and windows PC's don't have DNS entries here.  I guess finding the
\_ name of a computer with a specific IP might be hard then but couln't you
\_ still list the WORKGROUP PC's like opening up Network Neighborhood in
\_ windows?

It's been a while, but I think if you leave of the computer name, or
name the  domain controller or workgroup (see, fuzzy in there)
smbclient will list the names of the boxen it knows about/can find.

David