standalone firewall

RustyC root root@descomp.com
Tue, 9 Jan 2001 22:36:57 -0700 (MST)

>  I'd like to open by saying thank you to those who helped me with the CDRW
> issue and say that all is well. Thanks again. I am looking into setting up an
> old box as a firewall for a Linux box and one windows box. I have looked into
> the Linuxrouter project and what I found seems to be rather dated. I have at
> my disposal Linux Mandrake 7.2, RH 6.2&7.0, Debian 2.2 Potato, FreeBSD 4.1
> and Storm Hail release. Would any of these suit my needs or might their be
> something specialized for this purpose. I am a newbie so user friendliness
> would be nice as well. I have no problems RTFM's to achieve what I am after.
> All help appreciated!

the short answer:

your favorite distro (I'm using Mandrake 7.01 and 7.1).
the firewall howto (especially find 'Rustys firewall howto' (not me, sorry))
	I'll post some urls sometime tomorrow.
ipchains

I'll try to get my info at work on how to set up a firewall with nat
into a form usable outside the company sometime soon and either post
it here or the url...

rusty