Fetchmail install hang up

Michael J. Schweppe michael@schweppe.org
Tue, 09 Jan 2001 22:06:36 -0700

Hello all:

I have read Fetchmail's FAQ [to be explained below] and attempted to
sign up to Fetchmail's own list--however the address didn't go through.
Help!

After I entered 'make' I got back the following:

[root@gonzo fetchmail-5.6.0]# make
gcc -L/usr/kerberos/lib -L/usr/kerberos/lib -s rcfile_y.o rcfile_l.o
socket.o ge
tpass.o pop2.o pop3.o imap.o etrn.o fetchmail.o idle.o env.o options.o
daemon.o
driver.o sink.o rfc822.o smtp.o xmalloc.o uid.o mxget.o md5ify.o rpa.o
interface
.o netrc.o base64.o error.o unmime.o conf.o checkalias.o smbdes.o
smbencrypt.o s
mbmd4.o smbutil.o ipv6-connect.o  md5c.o -lkrb4 -ldes425 -lcrypt
-lresolv -lkrb
5 -lcrypto -lcom_err -lfl  -o fetchmail
/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lcrypto
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make: *** [fetchmail] Error 1

[I don't know what the 'cannot find -lcrypto' means]

Now, according to the FAQ, if I get the error,

'make: *** [fetchmail] Error 1'

I am told "...then you must add "-lresolv" to the LOADLIBS line in the
Makefile once you have installed the 'bind' package."

[this reference to the bind package might be important but I don't have
a clue if I have done this or not]

In the Makefile:

# If your system needs extra libraries loaded in, define them here.
# In particular, add -lresolv if you are running bind 4.9.5
LOADLIBS = -lkrb4 -ldes425 -lcrypt  -lresolv -lkrb5 -lcrypto -lcom_err
-lfl
# LOADLIBS = -lsocket3r -lunix3r        # QNX

It seems that -lresolv is added since it appears in an uncommented line.

Thanks,

Mike