fetchmail & mutt

Nathan Saper natedog@well.com
Tue, 9 Jan 2001 19:31:43 -0700

On Tue, Jan 09, 2001 at 05:18:53PM -0700, Michael J. Schweppe wrote:
> Is the fetchmail+mutt combo reasonable or am I biting too much off?

Fetchmail and mutt are most often used together.  I don't think you're
biting too much off at all.

> Perhaps there is anther mail program to better fit my needs?

I doubt it.  Mutt is the most versatile, most powerful mail agent in
existence.

One thing to consider, however: Mutt does not have built-in support for
sending mail via smarthosts.  This means that you will have to configure an
MTA on your local machine if this is how you send mail.  (This is how most
ISPs are set up).  Some mail agents, such as Pine, have built-in support for
smarthosts.

If you use Debian, setting up exim is a trivial matter.  Just run
"eximconfig" as root.

--
[ Nathan Saper (natedog@well.com)  http://www.well.com/user/natedog/ ]
[ GPG: 0x6D7A0DA0 ADB6 C720 B46B AE39 93BD E598 897E D87D 6D7A 0DA0  ]