RH 7.0 & ATA100 question

Furmanek, Greg Greg.Furmanek@hit.cendant.com
Tue, 9 Jan 2001 14:20:40 -0500

Try links on this page:
http://google.yahoo.com/bin/query?p=ATA100+Linux&n=25&hc=0&hs=0

-> -----Original Message-----
-> From: Keith Wheeler [mailto:keith_wheeler@globalcrossing.com]
-> Sent: Tuesday, January 09, 2001 11:48 AM
-> To: PLUG
-> Subject: RH 7.0 & ATA100 question
->
-> PLUG,
-> I have recently decided to curtail my support for Bill
-> Gates' empire and
-> I bought RedHat 7.0 Linux yesterday. Now I'm trying to get
-> it installed
-> and it doesn't see my hard drive. I built a system to run it on that
-> looks like this:
->
-> Asus A7V motherboard
-> AMD Athlon 1000
-> 256MB ECC PC133 SDRAM
-> 45GB ATA100 IBM HDD
-> Toshiba 48x CDROM
-> 2 - Netgear FA-312 10/100 NICs
-> 3dfx Voodoo5 5500 AGP video
->
-> The A7V motherboard has an onboard Promise ATA100 controller
-> in addition
-> to the traditional ATA66 controller (VIA chipset). It's the Promise
-> ATA100 controller that's the source of the problem.
-> Apparently the Linux
-> 2.2.16 kernel that ships with RH 7 doesn't recognize this controller
-> natively. All the support I've found to date from the Asus web site,
-> Promise web site, Newsgroups, etc. has been kernel patches
-> for RH 6.1 &
-> 6.2. Nothing for 7.0.
->
-> I understand the RH 2.4 kernel MAY natively support the
-> Promise ATA100
-> controller. But have not been able to find that either.
->
-> Can someone help or point me in the right direction?
->
-> Thanks,
-> KW
->
->
->
-> See http://PLUG.phoenix.az.us/navigator-mail.shtml if your
-> mail doesn't post to the list quickly and you use Netscape
-> to write mail.
->
-> Plug-discuss mailing list  -  Plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us