RH 7.0 & ATA100 question

Keith Wheeler keith_wheeler@globalcrossing.com
Tue, 09 Jan 2001 11:48:18 -0700

PLUG,
I have recently decided to curtail my support for Bill Gates' empire and
I bought RedHat 7.0 Linux yesterday. Now I'm trying to get it installed
and it doesn't see my hard drive. I built a system to run it on that
looks like this:

Asus A7V motherboard
AMD Athlon 1000
256MB ECC PC133 SDRAM
45GB ATA100 IBM HDD
Toshiba 48x CDROM
2 - Netgear FA-312 10/100 NICs
3dfx Voodoo5 5500 AGP video

The A7V motherboard has an onboard Promise ATA100 controller in addition
to the traditional ATA66 controller (VIA chipset). It's the Promise
ATA100 controller that's the source of the problem. Apparently the Linux
2.2.16 kernel that ships with RH 7 doesn't recognize this controller
natively. All the support I've found to date from the Asus web site,
Promise web site, Newsgroups, etc. has been kernel patches for RH 6.1 &
6.2. Nothing for 7.0.

I understand the RH 2.4 kernel MAY natively support the Promise ATA100
controller. But have not been able to find that either.

Can someone help or point me in the right direction?

Thanks,
KW