open files (was Re: Virtual Hosting)

George Toft george@georgetoft.com
Mon, 08 Jan 2001 06:24:35 -0700

Thanks for the link.

So if I issue the cat command as described, and compare that against
a ulimit command, I get the following discrepancy:
[georgetoft@biff georgetoft]$ ulimit -a | grep files
open files                  1024
[georgetoft@biff georgetoft]$ cat /proc/sys/fs/file-max
4096
[georgetoft@biff georgetoft]$

The number given by ulimit is the one that takes effect (243 virtual
hosts * 4 log files per host = 979, plus a few other open files for
mail, logs, login shells, etc is pretty close to 1024), so I'm
wondering what effect /proc/sys/fs/file-max has.  The write up you
pointed me to seems to conflict with what I observed.

Any clarification would be appreciated.

George