[cec@gryphon.gsfc.nasa.gov: Re: [vim] ftp access from withinvim]

George Toft george@georgetoft.com
Sun, 07 Jan 2001 21:21:55 -0700

I checked out his page.  Personally, I think vi is a throwback from
the 1970's, but damn is it powerful.  vi is not so much a tool, but a
way of thinking.  We had a six hour outage when the /opt filesystem
filled up and the GUI interface to the appserver was being used to
reconfigure it.  With a full filesystem, every file the GUI change
was nulled out.  If the genius was using the command line, and had
made a backup copy of the files he was changing and then did an ls -l
to confirm the backup worked, he would have realized there was a
problem.  But no!!!  He had to use the GUI, and I had to search the
whole /opt system for zero length files that were modified that day
and then find a backup copy for them.  What a pain.  That was what
cinched it for me: I HATE GUI TOOLS.

George