Virtual Hosting

George Toft george@georgetoft.com
Sun, 07 Jan 2001 21:13:27 -0700

Hallo!

"der.hans" wrote:

> Am 06. Jan, 2001 schwäzte George Toft so:
>
> > We did 1800 sites on 30 IP's - what's the big deal?  We found the
> > practical limit to Apache's ability to serve virtuals was about
> > 240 URL's.  This was due to the fact that we ran out of file
> > descriptors, which required either recompiling the kernel (not at
>
> Have you looked at /proc/sys/fs/file-nr and /proc/sys/fs/file-max? That
> should allow you to have more, right? See Kevin Buettner's post about them
> from a few months ago.

The easiest solution was to not log referrers and agents unless
specifically requested.  Since I only joined three months ago, I
missed it.

> Were there any services you had problems virtual hosting?

No problems, except when our clients sent out 3000 e-mails.  With
qmail set to 120 concurrent connections, the server bogged.  I
brought this down to 20 and it was fine.

> I had probs with tftp, but that's not something that's usually offerred
> :).

The only services each server offered were:
FTP, HTTP, TELNET :(, SSH, POP3, SMTP, SNMP
No anonymous FTP

George