Mandrake 7.0 module problems!

Vaughn L. Treude v.treude@prodigy.net
Sat, 6 Jan 2001 14:55:54 -0700

Hello again:
I've made a little progress on this problem (see below).  First of all, I
discovered that the /etc/conf.modules file on the old disk was messed up; I
believe that's why the floppy and CD wouldn't mount.  After fixing this, I
recopied the "/" and "/home" files from the old disk to the next disk,
following Kevin Buettner's suggestion about the options on cp (I added the
"p" options; actually, cp -a -f does the trick.)  I restored the saved
original versions of the fstab, mtab, and linux.conf files, and the new disk
booted!  The programs I'd installed to the old disk now seem to work on the
new disk.

I also discovered why the wrong kernel was in place.  I changed the link
from "/boot/vmlinuz" to point to the correct (2.2.14-15mdk) version of the
kernel, and the driver for my advansys SCSI board wouldn't work!  I guess I
need to find the source and recompile it.  Can anyone enlighten me on the
reason for this incompatibility?

There's still one wierd problem.  Although the CD and floppy can now mount,
automount doesn't work, and when I do mount them, "ls" gives an error when I
try to list their contents
(for each entry, it says, "file or directory does not exist.")  But I CAN
"cd" into the directories, so they DO exist.  Could this problem be related
to the kernel version?

Thanks to Kevin and thanks in advance for any additional help.
Vaughn Treude
vaughn@nakota-software.com